Well, I fell way behind on my short fiction reading over the last few months, for a number of reasons. But here are a few stories that I did manage to get to--a mix of old and new-- that I loved. Stories of Love and Darkness Last Flesh Ice-Skaters by Claire Jia-Wen in Khoreo The first time I saw you, you laced up your skates, adjusted your knee mods, and I was just another unremarkable face as you fluttered to the ice. My mother snapped at me to watch you, but it was like asking a mallard to observe a flamingo. Our legs didn’t work the same. You’d been competing across the national circuit, in Boston and Orlando and Frisco, and this was my first competition. A near-future science-fiction tale about two figure skaters—both Chinese-American, both from Southern California, and both using the latest in sports body modifications. A propulsive sports rivalry story about competition, obsession, attraction, and love for the sp...
Woo hoo! Publishable or not, that is an awesome accomplishment.
ReplyDeleteHowever, it is absolutely *not* unpublishable, if you're willing to try something new with me... :)
(I am 100% serious about that, because I've liked every story of yours I've ever read! But also completely understand if you want to rework it to something you can send somewhere more mainstream... email me if you want to see the terms I finally settled on, though.)
Thanks so much for your comment, Cloud! Well, right now the novelette is still a big mess--it needs a lot of revision, I think. But those revisions are going to have to wait a few weeks, because I have some medical writing deadlines upcoming. I will definitely keep you in mind, though, when I think the piece is ready. Thank you so much!
ReplyDelete