New publication! Reprint in Passages: Best of NewMyths Anthology



Five years ago, my first paid story was published. It was also my first published story in the fantasy genre; up until then, I had danced on the margins of fantasy, writing “literary” stories that only hinted at magical realism.

Five years later, I unabashedly declare myself a genre writer. And that first fantasy story that I published so long ago is reprinted today in Passages: Best of NewMyths Anthology. This collection curates the best fiction and poetry to appear in NewMyths magazine over the last ten years. It's available in both print and e-book. I’m proud and honored to appear in these pages, alongside such writers as award-winning poet Christina Sng, novelist Beth Cato, and more.

Five years seems so long ago, and also the blink of an eye. I feel that I’ve come very far in my writing. I also thought that I would be further along; I underestimated how tough the science fiction/fantasy publishing market is. And I’m grateful for all the small successes I’ve had. That first publication in NewMyths felt like the first opening of a door. It was a real boost to a beginning writer who needed it, and I’ll always be grateful to editor and publisher Scott Barnes for giving me that.

(Note: my story in the collection, “Snow’s Daughter,” is also available for free on the NewMyths website here, although I would urge readers to check out the whole anthology if you can.)  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On memoir and things I have no experience of—A review of "Barbarian Days: A Surfing Life" by William Finnegan

Short fiction recs! May-June 2023

Short fiction recs! Oct-Nov 2023